Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease that can cause chronic inflammation of the joints and other areas of the body.
Rheumatoid arthritis can affect people of all ages.
- The cause of rheumatoid arthritis is not known.In rheumatoid arthritis, multiple joints are usually, but not always, affected in a symmetrical pattern.
- Chronic inflammation of rheumatoid arthritis can cause permanent joint destruction and deformity.
- A joint is where two bones meet to allow movement of body parts. Arthritis means joint inflammation. The joint inflammation of rheumatoid arthritis causes swelling,pain,stiffness, and redness in the joints. The inflammation of rheumatoid disease can also occur in tissues around the joints, such as the tendons, ligaments, and muscles.
- The disease usually begins gradually with fatigue, morning stiffness (lasting more than one hour), widespread muscle aches, loss of appetite, and weakness. Eventually, joint pain appears. When the joint is not used for a while, it can become warm, tender, and stiff. When the lining of the joint (synovium) becomes inflamed, it gives off more fluid and the joint becomes swollen. Joint pain is often felt on both sides of the body, and may affect the wrist, knees, elbows, fingers, toes, ankle or neck.
1. Unwholesome food:- It aggravates production of Ama in the body.
2. Excess physical activity immediately after taking unwholesome food. It vitiates Vata as well as Ama production.
3. Seasonal changes:- During transition from one Season to another. The digestive power of a body is at its lowest.
4. Ageing process:- After the age of 40-50 there is an increased proportion of Vata dosha in body and the digestive system is also weak.
5. Emotional factors such as excitement, grief, anger, fear etc. also responsible for Amavata.
Symptoms:- The disease first appears with following symptoms:-
1. It starts with stiffness in the body when one gets up in the morning.
2. One gets tired very easily.
3. One may have constipation or irregular bowel movements.
4. Pain and swelling in peripheral joints. In the beginning all these symptoms are very temporary in nature. However, in the later stages, swelling and pain of the joints begins to persist. The process is so gradual that the patient often does not even get the faintest idea that she is going to be a prey of a chronic disease. One keeps taking symptomatic medicines, meanwhile, the disease continues to get worse.
5. Gradually along with pain, deformation of the joint (flexion: the bending of a joint so that the bone forming are brought towards each other) make the patient completely unfit to do any work.
1. Nidan Parivarjan:- Removal or avoiding the causes of the disease.
2. Pathya Sevana:- Changing the lifestyle and diet to facilitate the cure:-
a) Pathya Ahara (The right food):- Whole wheat, pulses ( moong and masoor), pumpkin, bitter gourd, spinach, ginger, garlic, vegetables with high water content, cucumber, beans, Red rice etc., because these are easily digestible and do not produce gas.
b) Pathya Vihar (The right lifestyle):- Light exercises and yoga help ( it does not aggravate vata)
3. Shamana (Ayurvedic Medicine therapy):- This usually follows elimination of vitiated doshas from the body.
4. Shodhana Chikitsa(Ayurvedic Panchakarma Treatment):- Elimination of vitiated doshas from the body.
a) Langhan (Fasting):- It may be complete or partial, depending on the strength of patient, place and season. It normalizes irregular bowel function.
b) Virechana:- Medicated purgation therapy, Ama is eliminated from the body and bowels are also cleansed.
1. Vasthi:- It is also known as medicated enema, highly beneficial in cleansing and detoxifying the body.
2. Prizhichil or oil bath therapy:- highly rejuvenating treatment. It increases blood circulation and enhances muscular tone.
3. Elakizhi:- Also known as herbal Potli treatment, it promotes better circulation, increases perspiration which helps skin to eliminate the toxins and improve muscle tone.
Note :- One should avoid cabbage, cauliflower, potato, rice, curd, rajma(kidney beans), ice-creams, cold drinks, fried food, underground stems since these substances are cold in nature and aggravate Vata as well as Ama. Bathing with cold water and exposing oneself to cold wind should be strictly avoided.TESTIMONIAL FROM ONE OF OUR PATIENT She was suffering from RA since 3 yrs.she had severe pain in the phalangeal joints , shoulder.back and knees with stiffness and swelling occasionally.underwent many treatments without any result .At Aadivaidya we gave her treatment for 18 days and medications for three months.Before treatment her ESR was 105 and Hb% was 9. RESULT OBTAINED After 10 days of treatment her stiffness reduced 60%,pain 50% , her appetite improved,got stability in walking ,started getting proper sleep at night After 18 days of treatment stiffness reduced 80%,pain 70%,proper sleep,improved digestion and appetite and ESR Level reduced to 80 She was adviced 3 months medications and after 3 months her ESR was 32 and Hb 12